Gemini Dollar is a cryptocurrency that is pegged at the value of the US dollar. It allows people to receive and send US dollars worldwide with low fees. Similar US dollar-linked cryptocurrencies already exist, but Gemini stands out because some reason followed. In this article, we will provide information to better understand what is Gemini Dollar and why is it so outstanding?
What is Gemini Dollar (GUSD)?
A cryptocurrency stablecoin called the Gemini dollar (GUSD) is backed and tied to US dollars kept in FDIC-insured bank accounts. The accounting company BPM LLP regularly audits the money kept in reserves. Gemini, a cryptocurrency exchange launched in 2014 by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, developed GUSD. The New York Department of Financial Services (NYDFS) gave Gemini permission to introduce its stablecoin in 2018.
Although Paxos also introduced an NYDFS-regulated stablecoin on the same day, the business asserted that GUSD was the first stablecoin to be governed. The amount of USD deposits held by the Gemini Trust Company LLC corresponds to the total number of tokens in circulation. The Ethereum network is the foundation for the ERC20 cryptocurrency known as the Gemini dollar, and security firm Trail of Bits Inc. audits its smart contracts.
Background of Gemini Dollar
In September 2018, the Gemini Trust Company became the only issuer of the Gemini dollar. The US dollar reserves backing Gemini’s stablecoin are kept in State Street Bank in Boston. An FDIC deposit insurance program insures the currency. While Gemini changes its holdings to reflect the number of tokens in circulation, registered users can convert USD into Gemini Dollars and deposit them to an Ethereum address.
Since the Gemini dollar is based on Ethereum, token production is the consequence of smart contracts that can be executed. Up to a particular amount, an online key must sign the contract in charge of growing supply. Beyond that point, minting coins requires an offline signature.
How Does Gemini Dollar Work?
The Ethereum blockchain is used to create Gemini Dollars. Thus, using the specified smart contract address, it can always check the tokens and observe how they are used. They are created when you deposit money into Gemini’s custodian account, and they are “destroyed” when you redeem your USD. The auditing firm ensures the corresponding quantity of USD holdings, and the distributed ledger verifies the supply of coins. Each GUSD token represents a reserve of USD dollars.
It is viewed as a starting point for trading cryptocurrencies. Customers can exchange US money for cryptocurrencies using wire or bank transfers abroad.
What Problems Does Gemini Dollar Solve?
The Gemini dollar is a digital currency that solves many problems associated with other digital currencies. The Gemini dollar solves the volatility problem by pegged to the US dollar. This means that the value of the Gemini dollar will not fluctuate as much as other cryptocurrencies. The Gemini dollar also allows users to avoid the high fees associated with traditional banking systems.
The Gemini Dollar Team
- Cameron Winklevoss – Co-Founder & President, Gemini Trust Company.
- Tyler Winklevoss – Co-Founder & CEO.
- Nick Cote – Chief Information Security Officer.
- Phil Potter – Chief Strategy Officer.
- David Damadoran – Head of Risk.
- Jared Woodard – Head of Compliance.
- Martin Garcia – Head of Trading.
- Brandon Rinehart – Head of Engineering.
- Eric Winer – Head of Product.
- Harit Talwar – Head of Consumer.
- The Gemini Dollar is now available through partnerships with major exchanges and wallets, including Binance, Bitfinex, and Ledger.
- The firm has a partnership with BlockFi, an online lending service provider. The firm has also entered into an agreement with the New York Stock Exchange and the Cboe BZX Exchange to launch a bitcoin exchange-traded product (ETP).
- Partnered with Flexa, a digital payment network, allowing Gemini users to use their Gemini dollars at select retailers such as Barnes & Noble, Baskin-Robbins, Bed Bath & Beyond, Dunkin’ Donuts, GameStop, Jamba Juice, Lowe’s, Nordstrom, Office Depot, Petco, Regal Cinemas, and Whole Foods Market.
- Partnered with Samsung to allow users to store and use their Gemini dollars on Samsung Galaxy devices.
What Is GUSD Token?
The GUSD token is a stablecoin that is backed by the US dollar. The GUSD token is an ERC20 token issued by the Gemini exchange. The token can be used to trade on the Gemini exchange or to store value.
The GUSD token is pegged to the US dollar and is backed 1:1 by the US dollar. The GUSD token is minted when US dollars are deposited into the Gemini exchange and burned when US dollars are withdrawn from the exchange. The GUSD token is a trustless, decentralized, and transparent way to store value.
Basic Information About GUSD
- Token name: GUSD Token
- Ticker : GUSD
- Blockchain: Ethereum
- Token Standard : ERC-20
- Contract: 0x056Fd409E1d7A124BD7017459dFEa2F387b6d5Cd
- Total supply: 327,634,334 GUSD
The market capitalization of Gemini Dollar (GUSD) is $327,232,684, rank #107 on CMC.
The circulating supply of the Gemini Dollar (GUSD) is currently 329,126,401.51 GUSD. The coin was launched in September of 2018 and has been steadily gaining popularity.
Types Of GUSD On Blockchains
The general USD has been created on different blockchains with different characteristics. While it is a USD stablecoin, it is not backed by the United States dollar. Rather, it is backed by other cryptocurrencies and assets that can be used to redeem GUSD.
It uses smart contracts to create an ERC20 token. This allows the general USD to be traded on different exchanges. Ether blockchain is known for its security and reliability.
It uses the Omni layer protocol to create a BTC-based token. The Omni layer is a second layer solution built on the Bitcoin blockchain. It allows for the creation of different tokens and assets.
It uses the Stellar Consensus Protocol (SCP) to create a Stellar-based token. The SCP is a new consensus algorithm designed to be more secure and efficient than existing consensus algorithms.
It uses the Interledger Protocol (ILP) to create a Ripple-based token. ILP is a protocol that allows for the transfer of value between different ledgers.
How to Buy GUSD Tokens?
- To buy stablecoin GUSD, you must go through a digital currency exchange that offers them.
- Currently, the most popular exchanges that offer GUSD are Binance, Coinbase, FTX, Bittrex, Uniswap, SushiSwap and Kraken.
- You can also find GUSD crypto on some lesser-known exchanges like Gate.
- Once you have found an exchange that offers GUSD, you must set up an account and deposit funds into it.
- Once your account is funded, you can place an order to buy Gemini USD.
How to Store GUSD Coins?
All you need is a smartphone or computer, an internet connection, photo identification, and a payment method, and the entire process may be completed in as little as 15 minutes.
- Compare cryptocurrency exchanges: Gemini Dollar can be purchased most easily on a cryptocurrency exchange. By comparing the options in the table below, you can select one with the qualities you want, such as affordable costs, the convenience of use, or round-the-clock customer service.
- Create a profile: You must confirm your email address and identity to register for an account on an exchange. Prepare your phone and some photo identification.
- Set up a deposit: Once your identity has been confirmed, you can deposit money using the payment option that best suits you; PayPal, bank transfers, cryptocurrencies are all often accepted.
- Gemini Dollar to buy: Now you may convert your money into Gemini Dollar. This can be done by simply entering the desired purchase amount and pressing the buy button on exchanges that are simpler to use. You can withdraw your Gemini Dollar to a personal wallet if you’d like.
What Are The Risks Involving In GUSD?
GUSD is a relatively low-risk investment based on its current risk score. This score will be most helpful to investors primarily concerned with a risk assessment to avoid (or possibly seek out) risky assets.
The Gemini Dollar now has a value of $1 after falling in price by -0.44% over the previous day. The token’s market capitalization has decreased over the same period, and the price movement coincides with a lower volume than typical. The market value of the cryptocurrency is currently $248,478,483.54, and in the last day, $3,697,467.26 worth was exchanged. Gemini Dollar’s risk analysis is low due to the price volatility in relation to volume and market value changes.
The Crash of UST and its Impact on GUSD
In May 2023, the UST experienced a sudden and sharp decline in value, known as a “crash”. This event has a ripple effect on the crypto market, including the GUSD. It is pegged to the US dollar, meaning its value is directly linked to the UST. When the UST crashes, the value of the GUSD also plummets. In the wake of the UST crash, the GUSD crypto lost nearly 5% of its value against the US dollar.
Advantages and Disadvantages
There are both advantages and disadvantages to using GUSD.
- On the plus side, GUSD stands out above other tokens like Tether and Pax for its dependability and undeniable security;
- This project combines the advantages of blockchain technologies with the safety of the dollar and the oversight of government regulators; The Gemini token is an ERC-20 token that benefits from the Ethereum network and its many features; This stablecoin has high turnover and retrieval rates in comparison to many other stablecoins;
- GUSD transactions on Gemini are free of charge; users of Gemini can exchange Gemini Dollars for nothing. Anywhere on the earth, GUSD transactions are free to send and receive.
- Additionally, GUSD transactions can be finished in a couple of seconds. Users can put GUSD savings into Earn at 8.05% when not in use as money. You don’t have to wait for your money transfer to be processed, and there are no bank fees to pay. You can convert your money to dollars using GUSD.
- To connect with GUSD, you must provide identification and complete KYC requirements;
- Although it might seem advantageous, stablecoins like GUSD are regulated, which means they are subject to restrictions. If the regulatory body believes an action or transaction connected to a regulated token is unlawful, it may impose restrictions or seize the token.
- Higher costs compared to several other crypto exchanges
Is Gemini Dollar safe?
As long as it’s been in operation, Gemini has not been hacked. Like Coinbase, USD stored in your Gemini account is FDIC-insured.
Why GUSD instead of USD?
There are a few reasons why GUSD may be preferable to USD. First, GUSD is backed by the US government, so it is a more stable currency. Second, GUSD can be used to make international payments, which may be difficult with USD. Finally, GUSD is not subject to the same inflation risks as USD.
How to earn GUSD tokens?
To earn GUSD tokens, you can either buy them in an exchange or earn them through a process called staking. To stake, you need to deposit your tokens into a smart contract that allows you to earn interest on your deposited tokens. The more tokens you stake, the higher the interest rate you can earn.
Why is Gemini Dollar popular?
Gemini Dollar is a popular cryptocurrency because it is backed by the US dollar. This means that each Gemini Dollar is worth one US dollar, making it a stable and trustworthy currency. Gemini Dollar is also easy to use and has low transaction fees, making it a great choice for those looking to invest in cryptocurrency.
What can I buy with GUSD?
Some things you can buy with GUSD coin include:
- Cryptocurrency trading memberships.
- Electronic gift cards
- Precious metals
- Web hosting services
As more merchants begin to accept GUSD coins, the list of things you can buy will continue to grow. So far, the GUSD coin has been well-received by the cryptocurrency community and is quickly gaining popularity.
How can I find more information about Gemini Dollar?
If you want to find more information about Gemini Dollar, the best place to start is the project’s website. You can find links to the project’s whitepaper, social media accounts, and more. You can also search for Gemini Dollar on cryptocurrency forums and websites to find discussions and reviews from other users.
Stablecoins like the Gemini Dollar provide beginners in the crypto world with a simple and safe on-ramp. The GUSD coin has good growth potential, and the team can considerably enhance the platform’s and exchange’s present usability.
GUSD stands out, though, and its impeccable security record might be what spurs the community’s continued interest in the token. Although Gemini’s heavily regulated approach may offend crypto purists, it continues to appeal to customers who need security and compliance. If you’re looking for a stable and reliable cryptocurrency, GUSD may be the right choice for you.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is not investment advice from Cove Markets. Cryptocurrency investment activities are yet to be recognized and protected by the laws in some countries. Cryptocurrencies always contain financial risks.